Thursday, May 7, 2009

Anderson Tweets

I figured out the purpose of Twitter. For my money it's a tech fad; may not disappear but I'll bet it evolves into more than what it is now because I can't figure out what kind of purpose it serves. That is, except to follow Anderson Cooper. It isn't news that this guy is a reporter's reporter, but to me Twitter has been most relevant for chipping away the divide between the news personalities, and the public that consumes their work. 

I remember reading Cooper's memoir 'Dispatches From the Edge.' He talked about graduation. As a graduating senior I can relate to the confusion he felt when he was leaving Yale. God knows I ain't leaving Yale, but I'm likewise amazed at the path he took. You don't need any Ivy League education to become a war correspondent but that's what he did. Man takes a camera and heads to the most dangerous corners of the earth without a job. Worked his way into news the hardest possible way. 

If some ridiculous website with no real obvious purpose gets me closer to figuring how this guy operates and how he puts together the type of show that serves the public the way it does, then it's okay with me. Found out what the hell Twitter is useful for. Check that one off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment