Friday, May 1, 2009

Hatton vs. Pacquiao

As his fans like to yell during fights, there's only one Ricky Hatton. And he will get his ass kicked this weekend. I've loved watching Hatton fight since he made Kostya Tszyu look old overnight back in 2005. He took him down and Tszyu never fought again. He's a lunch pail kind of fighter who packs a helluva hard right hand and is always in good condition. He talks very little trash and when he does it's often of the charismatic, instead of malicious kind. That said, Manny Pacquiao is going to dismantle him the way Floyd Mayweather did. Hatton is always in a fight because as noted, he will be in very good condition and has now seen that type of speed in a fight. 

Still, Pacquiao will get the job done. He has been shockingly consistent since his last loss, to Erik Morales three months prior to Hatton's crowning bout with Tszyu. I will say this though: he's fought professionally since age 17. The careers of guys who do that can often just tailspin because the years of abuse catch up and hit a guy harder than any opponent can. Pacquiao enjoyed watching that happen to Morales, avenging that loss twice over. Eventually (almost) everyone falls and who will be the one to topple Pacquiao? I think Hatton will lose. But if I'm betting against Manny, he's the guy I want to be in the ring with him. 

For my money Sam Adam's Summer Ale is the best summer drink this side of lemonade. It's advertised as being brewed with 'Grains of Paradise.' I dunno what the hell that means, but the beer is good. I'm equally excited to try Blue Moon's summer ale 'Honey Moon.' At Wegman's, the greatest supermarket ever, they have Blue Moon's summer and winter ale sitting side by side on a shelf. If I were to judge what time of year it was based on beer selection, I guess I'd think it were spring. 

2 comments:

  1. Good call on Manny "dismantling" Ricky Hatton. I think there was a general consensus opinion that Manny was going to win this bout because he's such a superior fighter, but I was really surprised at just how much he really dominated Hatton. Absolutely crushed him. Thus, I'm not surprised that Manny won (and most aren't of course), but rather that he did so with so much timeliness, flourish and ease against a guy whose a real workman.

    I've never been a huge Hatton fan because he's never just been that exciting to me, but I really gotta respect the way he went after Manny in the 2nd round even though he got knocked down TWICE in the first with hard combos. Most guys would back down after a trashing like that but Hatton knew that the only chance he had to win was if he got in a hard punch and knocked Manny cold. Major props for that.

    What's really scary is watching the slow-mo replays of the knockdowns, Manny's punches are moving at like 800x the speed of everything else... as if the camera is only slowing down the rest of the shot but is capturing Pacquiao's punches at full speed. And the thing is, not only does slow-mo capture the speed, accuracy and power of the punches but the brilliant way they're being set up.

    Here's the question, after my friend and I watched the fight he said he was impressed with Pacquiao's precision and striking ability but it was crazy to say that this was the best "pound for pound" fighter in the world. His argument was that the best pound for pound fighters are all MMA. It's hard to compare, but knowing you're a MMA and boxing fan, what do you think? Obviously, it would be difficult for Pacquiao to fight in the UFC or something because striking is only one component of MMA, but do you think a top ranked MMA fighter could win a boxing match versus someone like Pacquiao (assuming he trained for it and yada yada)? My friend says for sure, but after seeing the ferocity of Pacquiao's punches I'd tend to disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hatton was hugely overrated. Besides Tszyu, who has he beaten up? Right after that Tszyu retired so obviously he wasnt in top form.

    It was a great knockout by Pac Man.

    ReplyDelete